Sunday, May 20, 2018

The Sunday Comments ( 05 - 20 - 18 )

>>>First new posting in a week  (kk)
Worth the wait, Kent! 
GREAT update.
Thx for the summer concert list.
LOVE City Winery and the Arcada.
Playing with Rewound Radio right now ... thx.
Have a great week,
Bill

How do you find the time to write such a great blog?   
I barely have time to READ it!  :)
JR

We were sorry to hear about Burton Cummings being injured in a car accident in Los Angeles last Sunday.  (Sounds like he’s in “recovery mode” right now so we likely won’t hear from him … but here are a couple of news articles we received from our readers) …
The accident seems to have been much more serious than the first reports we heard.  Wishing you a speedy recovery, Burton, both mentally and physically, after this ordeal.  (kk)

From Burton’s own post:

Currently recovering and healing from a very bad auto accident which happened on Sunday, Mother's Day, about 5:40 pm. I was summoned to Los Angeles for jury duty beginning the week of May 7th and reported later that week. Due to the Winnipeg Jets' playoff status right now, the judge was kind enough to dismiss me from a trial for which I had already been OFFICIALLY SELECTED as a juror. It is a medical malpractice trial which will go on probably until basically the end of May. While I was still hoping to make it to Winnipeg to sing the anthems at a later game, I explained my situation to the judge and the very day the trial was beginning, he was kind enough to dismiss me … on one condition … that I sing the Star Spangled Banner right there in the courtroom in front of his honour, the jurors, the lawyers, and both the plaintiff and the defendant. Having had a malpractice nightmare personally some years ago with my throat situation, I didn't feel proper to be participating in a medical malpractice trial, but that alone did not dismiss me. The judge basically did me a huge favour. Sunday afternoon, I was on my way to Fry's Electronics on Canoga and I was hit by a guy who ran right through a red light. My car is totalled. I suffered a concussion as my head cracked my front windshield. I have cuts and serious bruising on both arms, and my left leg is very painful. Also, intense back pain. I need some serious healing time and won't be able to fly right away. Now, unless the Jets continue on for a while, I might not be able to make it to Winnipeg to sing the anthems and cheer the Jets onward. I've followed their rise to the semi finals with great joy and pride. This accident has come at an extremely bad time for me … for more than just one reason.
With my current pain and aftershock nervousness I'm in no condition to deal with all the venom here on line. It would be crushing at the best of times, but right now, in the condition in which I find myself, it's just impossible to deal with. I'm through with social media for the most part. After a while it becomes a pissing contest, a race for the inside track, and basically it's all disgusting. For years I truly enjoyed the "late night ramblings" and communicating with followers all over the world. I enjoyed the 3D photo library, telling the stories of the early days, the "biology classes" concerning some of Earth's strangest creatures, the poetry postings and all the rest of it … now, in May of 2018, the joy has been painfully extracted from all of that … it only takes a few poison people to ruin things for a lot of nice folks … and that's precisely what has happened.
Some people have their own idea of what my personal life should be, and in their convoluted agendas, I'm all wrong in the way I'm living.
All of this is not even worth dwelling on for too long…the responsible people are not worth my keystrokes … they know who they are personally, one by one, and for the most part, many of the so-called "faithful" know who they are ...
I'm in a lot of physical pain today. I'm trying to focus on just how lucky I am not to have been killed or crippled. My hands and throat are basically okay, although I would be in no condition to do a show right now. No glass hit my eyes, but the concussion was quite serious. My head is quite swollen, as is my left elbow … both arms have many cuts and bruises ...
I'm thankful to the Gods and the Universe that this idiot hit me on the passenger side of my car, and I'm also incredibly grateful that I had decided not to take two and Mickey out with me for a car ride ... The worst thing these last two nights has been that my mind has been "reliving the crash" … that sound and fear and unexpected horror ... I was unconscious for a few seconds before I came to and was fortunately able to get out of the car myself. It's totaled … it looks like a piece of crumpled up foolscap that you would toss into the garbage. I've always been extremely wary of shrinks and therapists, but now, at 70, after this accident, I know I'm going to have to get some help getting over the shock … that's the worst part right now … trying to keep telling myself that I'm okay … my mind keeps reliving the awful crash … the terror and the sound.
I won't be around here much anymore for obvious reasons that are largely self explanatory. Any good thoughts of healing and peace that could be sent my way right now would be infinitely appreciated.
As for everything else, as the old cliche says, "it is what it is"...
Peace and calm,
Burton Cummings

Speaking of Burton Cummings …

If we couldn’t entice you to buy Burton’s LA home a couple of weeks ago, maybe Tom Petty’s old digs would be more up your alley.  (Man, this place is INCREDIBLE!!!)

Hey Kent, 
I have followed the legendary radio personality, Roger W. Morgan, since I was in high school. His talents are one of the reasons I went into radio broadcasting. He's now back in the studio, at a great oldies station in Oregon. I stream his show every morning, make that "Morgan"!  
- John LaPuzza

Hi Kent: 
I haven't written in ages, but I'm still out here. Mostly I'm quiet because I enjoy reading all the stuff about the 60s from folks in or near your generation, but I don't have anything to add. Being that fuddy-duddy yapping about how grandma made butter yadayada is not what I want to be. 
I do have to say I agree totally about this business of breaking records. First of all, it is what it is and nothing should be extrapolated from it ... certainly not who or what is the best of whatever you're fooling around with. But it's everywhere! 
It's the comparison of apples and lugnuts, perhaps worthy of amusing conversation or, as you point out, a trivia game, but nothing else. The playing field has changed as much in music as it has in baseball, basketball and football. They don't play those games, any of them, the same way they did in the past but they keep rolling out the records and piling up the statistics. Gives a lot of people a lot to talk about and maybe the talk is the objective after all. It also gives gainful employment to statisticians, I suppose. 
Keep the faith, keep writing.  
Hil       

Kent -
Missed you at the Cornerstones concert … next time we need to get together!
A few comments …
No offense to Bruce, but I’d really rather hear the New Colony 6 SONGS and not the Revelles. 
I always get a kick seeing Chet announce the Colony, but would like to take it a step further with each group having someone introducing them. For instance, it could be a wife. I know Doody, Ray and Jimbo have been married for eons to their spouses. Or a famous DJ (Dick Biondi, Bob Stroud), promoter (Carl Bonafede) … hey, even a fan!!!
Wish the guys sometimes would expand their catalog of songs in this venue. I know there is only a limited amount of time for each group but ... isn't it great that they are all still PLAYING AFTER ALL THESE YEARS!!!!!  I really enjoyed what the Cars and Bon Jovi had to say for their Rock And Roll Hall of Fame induction speeches (I can’t say I am aware of too many of their hits, however … different era, I guess). One of my favorite groups are the Moody Blues, You could imagine my disappointment over their speeches (or lack of). Why Mike Pinder did not say anything was beyond me … maybe his health? And it seems like John and Justin thanking Ray was almost an afterthought. Oh well, at least they are in. In my mind I thought the two most glaring omissions from the Hall were Chicago and the Moodies and now they are both in. I always said that once they’re in, I am ready for the afterlife.  (Naw, now we have to work on the Guess Who … and Tommy James … and the Grass Roots and the ... well, I guess I am not going anywhere.
When are we going to have our field trip to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? C’mon,, Kent … but you promised!  :)
Keep up the good work, my friend … you are the patron saint of the average rock and roll fan!!!
Mike De Martino
P.S. Damn … the Ides did Superman!!!! Man, if they also did Rollercoaster I would have cried.  

By the way, there is a great lineup for the Sheffield Garden Walk in Chicago … check it out … everyone except the Shames!

North Stage
Saturday, July 21
1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. - The Windy Gypsys
2:30 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. - Rosie & The Rivets
4:30 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. - The Four C Notes
6:15 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. - The Buckinghams
8:15 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. - The Ides of March
Sunday, July 22
1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. - Claremont Drive
2:30 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. - Shadows of Knight
4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. - New Colony Six
6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. - Dick Diamond & The Dusters
8:30 p.m. to 9:55 p.m. – ARRA

I have made a number of suggestions to help improve the Cornerstones show … especially since there are SO many repeat concert attendees … I say why not give them something a little bit different each time they see the show ... and keep 'em coming back for more?  (And, I would imagine, keep it a bit more entertaining and enjoyable for the artists themselves as well!)  

As to your comments … and taking nothing away from Bruce Mattey … and speaking solely as my own personal opinion, The Revelles song, great as it is, really doesn’t belong in the line-up.  It never charted … it wasn’t a hit … and it theoretically prevents The New Colony Six (who had SEVENTEEN charted hits here in Chicago) from performing another one of their legitimate hit songs that truly would go down as another fan favorite.  (One suggestion that Ronnie Rice mentioned a couple of years ago was “I’m Just Waitin’, Anticipatin’,” which would sound INCREDIBLE with The Ides Of March horns!)  I’m sure Ray would love to see “Love You So Much” reinstated into the line-up, too … and another personal favorite would be “You’re Gonna Be Mine,” the first song that Ronnie and Ray ever wrote and recorded together.  (It was a #8 Hit in 1967.)  Another fun one to mix things up once in awhile (and earn a Wow! Factor from the audience as an unexpected treat) would be their Top Ten 1971 Hit “Roll On.”  

Although he’s been a fixture for the past 30+ years now, Bruce Mattey wasn’t a member of the band during their hit-making years.  Truth be told, of all the acts backed by The Ides (who still have all four original members, if you can believe it!) on stage each night, he is the only featured performer that falls into this category.  Jimy Sohns, of course, was the voice of The Shadows Of Knight … and The Cryan’ Shames have lead vocalist Tom Doody and head cheerleader Jimmy Pilster up front when they perform … and James Fairs, who wrote most of their biggest hits, also participated at the beginning.  (Rumors of other former hey-day Shames joining the band on stage continue to circulate ... so we may have that to look forward to in the not-too-distant future, too.)  And The Buckinghams perform their set as a self-contained unit (although it WOULD be nice to see Dennis Tufano make a surprise appearance every now and then.)

I can only presume that Bruce is there at the request of Ray Graffia, Jr., with whom he has been a partner in bringing back The New Colony Six for concert appearances and plays a vital role on stage in this regard.  (Ronnie Rice, while enjoying singing his hits with a full band within the context of the Cornerstones shows, still wishes to retain his own identity as a solo artist outside this arena.)  That being said, if the feeling is that Bruce Mattey is to be involved in some capacity, I would suggest that he sing “Take Me Back,” another GREAT, over-looked song from our Local Heroes, originally a hit for The Flock from 1967 that would also sound great backed by The Ides horn section ... and was a song that was actually part of The Chicagoland Sound of the ‘60’s ... a #12 chart hit here in The Windy City.  I saw Bruce sing this at one of those Bob Stroud / Rock And Roll Roots Release Parties a few years ago and he absolutely KILLED it on that song.  (It would also be a way to feature another Chicago band who was big on the local music scene back in the day, liven up the act, and present an opportunity to mix things up a little bit on stage.)

With that in mind, I have also suggested several times that Jim Peterik (and The Ides Horns) could do an EXCEPTIONAL version of The Mauds’ hit “Soul Drippin’,” a song Jim told me he loved, and thus offering another surprise treat for the devoted fans who come again and again … as well as a nice way to pay tribute to the dearly departed Jimy Rogers.  Mix these new cuts in with “Lake Shore Drive” and “Bend Me, Shape Me” and all of a sudden you’ve got another awesome four-song set … which adds a whole new act to the line-up!  And now you can close the show with a group ensemble performance of “Eye Of The Tiger,” something the fans most definitely want to hear but left out far too often because of the whole ‘60’s / ‘70’s / Garage Bands concept.  (Seriously, is there a better "bring the house down" song than this one???)  

The Cryan’ Shames have mixed up their set throughout this Cornerstones run … I say let the other acts do so, too, and keep this package rolling for a few more years!  (kk)

And, speaking of The Flock …

NEW DOUBLE CD FROM USA / CHICAGO 60s - 70s
CLASSIC MUSIC GROUP - THE FLOCK!! RECENTLY RELEASED
Flock performed at the Royal Albert Hall UK in 1969 and has many, many fans in the UK, USA and Europe.    
Flock also performed at the Bath Festival / UK and all over England, France, Sweden, Germany, Holland and Switzerland.
Flock toured the USA appearing at the L.A., Seattle, and Denver Pop Festivals including the Fillmore West and East … many other shows all over the US and Europe, as well.
(But will anybody give a Flock?)
Fred Glickstein

From FH Reader (and MAJOR Chicago Fan) Tom Cuddy …

>>>While doing genealogy research, I found this fun fact for FH'er Tommy Roe.  Knowing that Tommy did the song "California Chrome" for the Kentucky Derby winning race horse a few years back, it was funny to come across the second place finisher in the Pasadena handicap race on January 7, 1905!  Check it out!  (Clark Besch)



Hi Kent ... 
That’s  funny … I named one of my horses Heather Honey, and she actually won at Del Mar in the early 70’s. I am currently a partner with Scott and Mike Borchetta in two horses, Tennessee Cotton, and Taylor’s In Orbit.  Taylor’s In Orbit has already broken her maiden and Tennessee Cotton will be running her maiden race very soon at Gulfstream Park.   
Thanks for sharing the Heather Honey trivia from 1905!  
Tommy 
Attached is photo of Taylor’s In Orbit breaking her maiden in Florida.


Hello, Kent ...
George Gersch here.
It’s been a long time, pal.  I remember when your platform was in its infancy and you’d send “wave files” of oldies in your emails. It’s hard to believe that more than 25 years have passed since then. The success you’ve achieved since then with this is amazing. Great work!   
I looked at your lineup of upcoming shows and saw that Tommy James and the Shondells are coming up at the Arcada.   
The band I’ve been in for over 25 years, The Fairlanes, had the honor of opening for them at Hoffman Estates Fest 12 or 13 years ago. It was the 5th of July, 94 degrees and about 90% humidity. We did our 90 minutes, dripping sweat, and started packing up our gear. I walked to the stairs with guitar in hand, and standing at the bottom of the four short steps was Tommy himself.   
As we all came to the stairs, he graciously said to all of us, “Hey guys, great show! Thanks for not playing any of my tunes!” He went on “l loved the way you played the oldies.” 
He talked to us for a good 15 minutes about the music business, and shared some things that touched us.
This is remarkable on its own, but Kent, the guy has a heart condition. He was fairly uncomfortable with the heat and humidity and, in spite of that, he left the air conditioned trailer we changed clothes in to watch our show … and to compliment us. He was simply a great guy.
As a bonus ... after we were off the stage and walking past our trailer, a guy comes out of the door, and I recognized him after a moment of disbelief. It was Kasim Sulton, Todd Rundren’s bass player, who did that year’s tour with Tommy James.  Our bass player and I are HUGE Todd fans! I called to him, "Hi Kasim!"  He flipped out!  “Nobody ever recognizes me!” he said. Then he sat down with us and talked for a half hour. I’ve probably seen Utopia 10 times or so over the years, so it was an incredible day ... meeting and spending time talking with two of my musical heroes was amazing. I’ll never forget it.
George
Tommy is a super nice guy and puts his all into each and every show … and he still sounds exactly the same all these years later!  He sells out every time he comes to Chicago (and sometimes that means two or three times a year!)  His records ALWAYS did extremely well here and we've gone to see him several times the past few years … and it's always a great show.
I wasn't aware of any heart condition … you'd never know it. 
They're still moving forward with Tommy's movie based on his best-selling book "Me, The Mob And The Music," a GREAT read if you haven't already done so.  Still no official release date (in fact, I'm not even sure if they've actually started filming yet!) but, as always, we'll keep you posted here in Forgotten Hits … which hasn't QUITE hit 25 years yet … but turns 19 this November.  Thanks, George!  (kk)

UPDATE:  I asked Carol Ross Durburow, Tommy’s long-time manager, for an update on the film and Tommy’s heart condition … here is what she sent me …

Hi kk –
Tommy had a heart issue many, many years ago … he is very healthy and continues to go for his check-ups, so he continues to have the stamina it takes to perform.
He has just finished his new album ALIVE!! and we are working on our marketing plan and will set a release date after we get a video done -   probably get a few singles out there first ... very exciting stuff!
He is loving doing his radio show on Sirius / XM - GETTIN' TOGETHER WITH TOMMY JAMES ... Sunday evenings, 5 – 8 pm - 60s on 6 channel.
With regard to the book and movie, the screenplay is done.  Barbara Defina, our producer, is now talking with directors … not an easy task getting the right person … and also if they are 'bankable,' they have several projects waiting, so it gets frustrating … but she moves forward.
As always, thank you for your interest and support of Tommy … he appreciates it immensely!!!
Carol
Tommy returns to The Arcada Theatre for a show on September 22nd and there are still a few great seats left for this show … but you’d better hurry … Tommy sells out every time he plays here.  It’s a GREAT show … and highly recommended.  (kk)    

Hi Kent -
Thank You So Much for the information on the release of  "The Warmth of the Sun" performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra on June 8th.  I will add it to my Beach Boys Collection! 
Any news as to Brian Wilson's back operation?
Carolyn
Yes, I'm pretty anxious to hear this one, too.  (They keep finding new ways to present this great Beach Boys Music … and this has been a pretty popular trend of late, having already updated and orchestrated the hits of Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison and Aretha Franklin!)
I honestly don't know if Brian has had the surgery yet or not … but I know it has been seriously bothering him for some time.  (Having had back surgery myself many years ago, I can totally relate to the debilitating pain this can be.)  We wish him the best for a speedy recovery.  (My understanding is that Brian has had multiple back surgeries in the past … but they just can't seem to stop the pain.  It seems to be something hereditary and also affected his brother Carl.)  It sounds like he's looking forward to getting back on the road again … an amazing statement in itself when one considers Brian's tour history back in the day!  (kk)

When he first heard about Brian cancelling his tour dates for another surgery, former band mate Mike Love posted an old photo of himself and Brian playing basketball with this "Get Well" greeting …

I know what it's like to have the Wilson back gene.  I am sympathetic and empathetic, as I myself have had back problems as early as junior high. I hope one day we'll be able to do something like this again; great memories. Looking forward to perhaps one day throwing some hoops.
-- Mike Love  

Kent,
I love what you are doing here. It's Bob from Bolingbrook ( we met at the Monkees concert in Merrillville, Indiana, quite a few years ago when I won tickets to the show!)
A few years ago, I sent you a short clip of John Phillips with Denny and Michelle singing a song while they were all part of The Journeymen. I STILL have not been able to get the name of or find this song anywhere.  I know Michelle is still with us and has been on the Public Stations advertising many of their songs.  I think she might be the ONLY one who can provide background on this song.  I'm hoping this link below can serve as a sample of what I'm searching for? 
Can you please post this and see from many of the listeners if someone can add some intel to this?
Thx 
Bob Morrow
We'll give it another shot, Bob.  And this time I've also reached out to Harvey Kubernik, who is friends with Michelle Phillips, to see if perhaps we can get you the definitive answer once and for all.  Stay tuned.  (kk)

Hello!
I just wanted to share with you that my latest Audiobook Narration is complete and is now available on Audible, Amazon and iTunes!
“Grolar, Half Grizzly, Half Polar Bear” is a Thrilling, Fictional Horror novel that takes place in a modern-day Yukon Gold Mining Camp impacted by the inevitable conflicts that happen between gold-riches seeking humans and a very large rampaging hybrid bear!
Among the favorable comments to me regarding my audiobook narration from the Book’s Award-winning Author, Thorsten Nesch, this was my favorite; “This is wonderful, you even crept me out - and I wrote it!”
For a Five-Minute Audio Sample of this Book that you can listen to as much, as little or as none as you wish, just click on this link;
Grolar, Half Grizzly, Half Polar Bear
Then, beneath the Book's Graphic that appears, just click on “Sample.” 

As an initial Promotion, Audible.com is offering this audiobook in its entirety FREE with a 30-day Audible.com trial.
And should you find the interest to listen to the full audiobook, your review on Audible.com or Amazon.com would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanx!
Chuck Buell
Happy to pass the info along!  (kk)