Saturday, June 20, 2015

Brian Wilson, The Beach Boys, Love And Mercy --Your Latest Comments

Well Kent ole boy, I think you were a bit harsh in your review of the film, but your opinion is as valid as the next moll tapper's.  So peace be on your house.
I liked the film and my wife (who was being born around the time Good Vibrations was being recorded), loved the film as well. Myself for the ride back to the past and the glory days that will never be back again. When you see John Cusack it's hard to see any historical figure, given the large body of his work, so you just have to deal with it.
The Dano kid is still relatively new so he can get away with being young Brian, and he did kick it in the ass as an actor.
Methinks your being from Chicago gives you a different feel for the California vibe than a west coaster. Don't get me wrong I lack in a total understanding of the Chicago vibe and all things that give it it's character. 
As for the studio portions of the movie, someone mentioned they heard Earl's name, I would have picked up on that, but I heard Al like you did. I thought it was reference to Al Casey or Al Caiola, but come to find out it's an Al I've not heard of. Like many of FH readers I spent a lot of time at Armin's "Sound Recorders" as our label practically lived there. It is sad to see the building no longer exists, where many hits were recorded.  
Being a drummer I used to hover around Earl Palmer's trap set and he would show me little things when a minute or two was available. Then on a couple of occasions we'd go to the hot dog shop around the corner on vine and he'd hook me up. Earl was a hero that I had the privilege of sharing some life space with.
Carol didn't play around ... she was all business and I think I only got a hi when she would come in and that was it, I thought she was hot.  Tommy, Don R, Mike D, Joe O, Jimmy B, and on and on. I, for one, do not recall any mention of the phrase "Wrecking Crew", but that doesn't mean anything, they would be tight in a couple of takes.
On one occasion the Beach Boys came into Armin's studio while we were doing vocal tracks, I think it was a courtesy request on behalf of Armin. They came in for about two minutes, stood at the door bobbed their heads and split, didn't even press the flesh, but it was what it was, I got it.
Well back to the film. I think they should of mentioned Van Dyke Parks full name instead of just Van ... kids will think it's Van Halen's daddy, or the guy that invented skateboard sneakers.  
The Beach Boys and Brian were, and are , just too F-ing big to roll into two hours, so I for one will take what I can get. Good Job and thanks for the stroll.  
By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed Fred Vail's accounting of his time with the Beach Boys.  That's stuff the average person doesn't know or was privileged to.  
Alex Valdez
Yellow Balloon 

Your review WAS very negative - I read the whole thing and could sense your disappointment.  Now I'm not sure if this makes me want to see the film more - or less - so I can judge it for myself.
Nicki 

Your "Love and Mercy" comments remind me of a song which I believe you posted several weeks ago. I am talking about Mercy's 1969 tune, LOVE (WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY)
Larry Neal  
Hadn't thought of that one!  Interesting, too, to see Brian sign off his Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Speech with "Love And Mercy" back in 1988.  (kk)




Oh what a beautiful morning,
Oh what a beautiful day,
I've got a wonderful feeling

The Stanley's Cup's come our way!!
Morning Kent,  
Just wondering if you'd ever seen this video clip of Brian Wilson's cameo appearance in the 1988 sitcom "The New Leave It To Beaver".  
A real gem  : ) 
Bob  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdwhxyYDXE  
Nope, never saw THIS before ... never even knew it existed!!!  I can't believe he actually did this (and wonder what prompted it).  I can't in my wildest imagination picture him being comfortable with this ... COMPLETELY out of character ... and yet he seems to be having a ball!  (Playing a character named Mr. Hawthorne was a clever move ... and I swear I have NEVER seen Brian exhibit so much annimated movement on stage before ... and look so comfortable doing it!  Unreal.  That being said, "The New Leave It Beaver" show looks God-Only-Knows-Awful!!!  But still a fun, rare Brian clip, to be sure.  Thanks, Bob!)  kk

And, speaking of The Stanley Cup, this photo was just WAY too fun to pass up ...
Here's Brian singing the original "I feel so break up" lyrics of "Sloop John B" in a 1966 early take. 
Clark Besch



Greetings!  
I am interviewing Fred Vail on my radio show Monday night. He said he had a recent article with you guys that I should check out.
Thanks!
Dennis King,
Host of the Island Time Radio Show
Yep, scroll back to Wednesday, June 17th to catch Fred's memories of the early days of The Beach Boys ... and visit www.forgottenhits.com to learn the true origins of The Beach Boys' hit "The Warmth Of The Sun"!
You can listen live to Dennis' Island Time Radio Show here: Cool thanks! The show is Island Time Radio show, airing live Monday 6/22 @ 10 PM, eastern time to 1 AM, eastern. Fred will do two parts in the first and second hours of the show. It can be heard on WBWC.COM & on the TUNE IN app for smart phones. Locally in the Cleveland, OH area on 88.3 FM- WBWC 
There will be several encores of the special show. The complete list is on our website @ itrshow.com
Thanks much! 
Dennis King (DK), Host
Thanks, Kent ...  
I've always enjoyed being on DK's program -- probably goes back over 15 years since the first one -- actually have not done it in a couple of years so it should be 'fun, fun, fun.' :)
He's going to try something a bit different...I'll actually spill over into the second hour so we can get 'more music' and maybe a bit less "Fred." Well, that's the theory anyhow:)
Have a great weekend.  
Fred
  
And, speaking of Fred Vail ...
Looking forward to reading the "Love & Mercy" reviews, which came in last night or early this AM.  (And yes, I know I still owe you mine)
Always enjoy your editions. Thanks for the 'labor of love.'
Brian Wilson is coming here -- to the new Carl Black outdoor shed -- and I'm looking forward to seeing him. It's the 27th of June. Al Jardine is with him, along with Blondie Chaplain -- who was in "The Flame," the group from Durbin, South Africa, that Carl produced in '70. Blondie was in the Rolling Stones band for a number of years, and his band mate, Ricky Fataar, has been with Bonnie Raitt for a number of years -- drummer and musical director.
Fred
Brian hits Chicago on July 6th at Ravinia ... we would LOVE to go but I don't think it's in the cards.  Totally loving the new "No Pier Pressure" CD and am curious to see how much of that he works into his set list.  (kk)

Copies of The Wrecking Crew have started shipping. 
If you haven't already done so, you can order your copy here:  http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/
In honor of all the Brian Wilson / Love And Mercy coverage, Producer Denny Tedesco has posted a couple of new outtakes on The Wrecking Crew website ...
I was thrilled to see that the new biopic film about Brian Wilson, 'Love & Mercy' features session musicians including Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Lyle Ritz and others. I am sharing an exclusive new outtake in honor of Brian Wilson that features two of the great bass players of the Beach Boys sessions; Carol Kaye and Lyle Ritz.
Now Denny's off to Great Britain to start screening the film there! 
Hey, we've been raving about this film for YEARS now ... after you get your copy and have a chance to watch it, drop us a line and let us know what you think.  (kk)

And, on a related note (sort of), Vintage Vinyl News is reporting that the legendary Dick Dale will be out on tour starting this summer ... including a stop right here in Palatine at Durty Nellie's on July 28th.
Here's the full itinerary as it currently stands:
  • 06/19 - West Hollywood, CA - Whisky A Go Go
  • 07/23 - Denver, CO - Bluebird Theater
  • 07/27 - Madison, WI - High Noon Saloon
  • 07/28 - Palatine, IL - Durty Nellie's
  • 07/29 - Chicago, IL - Reggie's Rock Club
  • 07/31 - Ferndale, MI - The Magic Bag
  • 08/02 - Indianapolis, IN - Birdy's Bar & Grill
  • 08/03 - Indianapolis, IN - Melody Inn
  • 08/05 - Cleveland Heights, OH - Grog Shop
  • 08/07 - Sellersville, PA - Sellersville Theater 1894
  • 08/08 - Asbury Park, NJ - Lance & Debbies Wonder Bar
  • 08/09 - Pittsburgh, PA - Rex Theater
  • 08/11 - Philadelphia, PA - North Star Bar
  • 08/12 - Bay Shore, NY - YMCA Boulton Center for the Performing Arts
  • 08/15 - Cambridge, MA - The Middle East Downstairs
  • 08/18 - Annapolis, MD - Rams Head On Stage
  • 08/19 - Pawling, NY - Daryl's House Club
  • 08/21 - Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Bowl
  • 10/17 - San Jose, CA - The Ritz
  • 12/19 - San Juan Capistrano, CA - The Coach House