Friday, August 8, 2014

50 Years Ago This Weekend (August 8/9/10)

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT hangs on for another week at #1 but WISHIN' AND HOPIN' by DUSTY SPRINGFIELD is the only other British Hit to hold on to its Top Ten berth on The Billboard Hot 100 Pop Singles Chart this week in 1964.

Brand new on the charts is HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN by THE ANIMALS, debuting at #60.  It would reach #1 a few weeks later.  BEATLES Producer GEORGE MARTIN makes the chart this week with his instrumental hit RINGO'S THEME (THIS BOY) from the A HARD DAY'S NIGHT American version of the soundtrack album.  (In fact, this single was released on the United Artists record label!)

Several of last week's hits are still represented here: NOBODY I KNOW by PETER AND GORDON is at #15, CAN'T YOU SEE THAT SHE'S MINE by THE DAVE CLARK FIVE at #16, HOW DO YOU DO IT by GERRY AND THE PACEMAKERS leaps from #43 to #21, BECAUSE, another DAVE CLARK FIVE hit is up from #60 to #22, TELL ME by THE ROLLING STONES sits at #24, AIN'T SHE SWEET by THE BEATLES is right behind it at #25, as is YOU'RE MY WORLD by CILLA BLACK at #26.  Further down the countdown we find that I BELIEVE by THE BACHELORS is at #33, DON'T THROW YOUR LOVE AWAY by THE SEARCHERS is at #39, followed by a couple more BEATLES tunes ... AND I LOVE HER (#40) and I'LL CRY INSTEAD (#44).  Filling out the rest of The Hot 100 are DON'T LET THE SUN CATCH YOU CRYING by GERRY AND THE PACEMAKERS at #45, I'LL KEEP YOU SATISFIED by BILLY J. KRAMER AND THE DAKOTAS (right behind it at #46), I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER by THE BEATLES at #59, IT'S ALL OVER NOW, new for THE ROLLING STONES at #68, another BEATLES track, IF I FELL, at #87, SHOUT by LULU AND THE LUVERS at #94 and YOU'RE NO GOOD by THE SWINGING BLUE JEANS at #97.

Also worth mentioning … The Boston Pops Orchestra are holding on at #55 with their "big band" version of "I Want To Hold Your Hand" … and the VERY British sounding "She's The One" by The Chartbusters (a group actually out of the Washington, D.C. area), reaching the #47 mark this week.





Here in Chicago on the WLS Silver Dollar Survey, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT / I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER holds on to the #1 Spot.  WISHIN' AND HOPIN' by DUSTY SPRINGFIELD also holds at #4 while PETER AND GORDON's latest, NOBODY I KNOW, falls to #8.  Other British Hits in The Top 20 include HOW DO YOU DO IT by GERRY AND THE PACEMAKERS (#11), DON'T LET THE SUN CATCH YOU CRYING (also by GERRY AND THE PACEMAKERS) at #13, I'LL KEEP YOU SATISFIED by BILLY J. KRAMER AND THE DAKOTAS (#16) and another two-sided BEATLES HIT, I'M HAPPY JUST TO DANCE WITH YOU / I'LL CRY INSTEAD, at #20.

BECAUSE premiers at #24 this week for THE DAVE CLARK FIVE and THE BEATLES are new at #29 with AND I LOVE HER.  Meanwhile, LULU AND THE LOVERS climb to #33 with SHOUT.