Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Coppock's Topics

Here is the first "official" edition of Coppock's Topics ...  
Provided by Noted Broadcaster, Commentator (and Forgotten Hits Reader) Chet Coppock for your reading pleasure. 

Please Note: All views expressed herein are Chet's and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Forgotten Hits ... we just respect his right to view them ... (although I will admit to agreeing that a couple of these are "spot on" ... I'm just not going to tell you which ones!!!) 

Based on the recent flurry of mail we've received, it seems that most of you guys out there are enjoying these, too ... 

So let's get to a brand new edition ... of this new, semi-regular (or, perhaps in Chet's case, IRREGULAR) series!  

***

This simply has to be brought to the dance. While I'll never throw a Michigan Avenue Parade for Tommy Roe, I will say this ... compared to Bobby Sherman, Tommy's either Lennon or McCartney ... or ... maybe ... Elvis Presley.

Speaking of which,
I saw Elvis's last concert nearly 40 years ago at Mark Square Arena down in Indianapolis. It was actually tragic. The bloated king seemed baffled, sang one song while reading sheet music, and had to weigh 270 pounds. But ... BUT ... he still had the golden pipes.

There is a common thread that's emerging in this Tommy Roe give and take: if you had Hal Blaine on your side, you were ahead 4-nothing in the first inning.

Would it be fair to state that Hal was a better studio musician than either Duck Dunn or Steve Cropper?

Did Dennis Wilson ever play drums during Beach Boys recording sessions or was it always Hal behind the wheel?

I still love to get up and boogie when I hear Joe Cocker's "High Time We Went." 
 


If The "1910 Fruit Gum Company" is the answer then just what the hell is the question? 

Am I the only guy who thought the late 90's band "New Radicals" was going to be a defining 21st century group? I loved "You Get What You Give." 

Oh, what I'd give to turn back the hands WAY back and see James Brown or Smokey Robinson at the old Regal Theatre at 47th and King Drive (South Parkway). Or, drift over to 5523 S. State St. to Pervis Spann's Club Boogaloo to see B.B. King or, maybe, Arthur Conley. 

Who among us doesn't miss dancing the Shing a Ling? 

I'm glad you asked that question. The best song Mitch Ryder ever turned out was "Break Out." The song drips of teen aged frustration. 

You know what really made the Rolling Stones? This goes back to the Battle of Hastings. The Stones appeared with Dean Martin on Hollywood Palace in - I'm guessing 1964. After the group did its number, Deano dissed the group on stage, really threw the left hooks. In reality, what Martin really did was tell every kid in America, "Hey, I'm your parents. I hate these long haired London freaks. So, your job, in the name of rebellion, is to embrace them." 

I still get major league "pop" when I hear "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore" by the Young Rascals, a song that classic rock radio wouldn’t play if you offered p.d.'s three free nights with Cameron Diaz. 

I admit it. "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" is a fabulous guilty pleasure. 

Was the Shirelles' "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" the first real song about youthful female sexual angst? 

Why is it for every Rod Stewart song I hear on classic radio, I'm required to hear Kansas 17 times? 

Just askin' ... 

Chet Coppock - Notre Dame Football - WLS

Host: Blackhawks Heritage Series  











re: TOMMY ROE ... AND ELVIS!:  
I was fortunate enough to see Elvis three times ... first in 1972 at The Chicago Stadium. (It was essentially the same show released as the "Elvis - Live At Madison Square Garden" album later that same year ... which I bough immediately to help commemorate the event.)

There is no way to accurately describe the electricity that shot through the stadium ... and me personally ... when Elvis took the stage. It was unlike ANYTHING I had ever experienced before ... and I can honestly say that I've only felt that exact same feeling exactly one other time in my life ... and that was when Paul McCartney and Wings played the same venue four years later as part of the very first Wings Over America Tour.

I've seen McCartney at least eight or nine times since then ... and they've all been stellar shows ... but the excitement of that very first time has never been topped.

Likewise with Elvis ... I saw him TWICE in 1977 when he came back to Chicago ... just several months before he died. And, much as Chet described above, he just didn't seem really happy doing the concert ... or even totally into his performance (in fact, he performed one of his most recent hits, "Hurt", TWICE during the same show!) ... but there was no denying the pure power of his voice ... it was PERFECT!!!

Only Elvis could get away with reading the words to his songs as he performed them live on stage ... incredibly, he is even captured live doing this in a couple of his filmed concerts and documentaries ... no other artist's fans could ever be as forgiving. (kk)     

Hi Kent,  
It has been interesting reading the Tommy Roe comments and seeing all of the Elvis connections with some of the musicians he worked with over the years in the recording sessions ... Jerry Scheff, Jerry Reed, Bob Moore, Floyd Cramer, Jerry Carrigan, David Briggs, Hal Blaine, Buddy Harman, Norbert Putnam and, of course, producer Felton Jarvis. Felton had some health problems and Elvis helped pay for some of his medical bills.
Keep up the great work.
All The Best,
Cory Cooper
Elvis Historian  

re: OTHER COMMENTS:  
Hi Kent,
Just checking in with my comments on Chet's. Those of us who were born in or who have lived in Chicago understand the large and some might say "blowhard" personality that is Chet Coppock and you learn to love it or ignore it. I don't really have a problem with his comments, in general.
I do think that he is using your forum for his comments when he really should have his own website to do the kind of "commentary" that he does. You, yourself, have pretty high standards of writing and avoiding personal attacks. It would be different if Chet were saying the last time I saw (fill in a name) and then made his comment. Opinion is opinion and most of us have one. My opinion is if you publish commentary of this kind by Chet, it just encourages a trend to a more negative bent to Forgotten Hits. One of the best things about your site is the evenhanded way that you treat issues and the positive regard you have for the music.
Thanks for all the hard work you do and the time you spend bringing this great music to us.
Tom
Points well taken ... and I appreciate the compliments. A website by Chet devoted to music doesn't make much sense, however ... that's really not his gig ... but there is no question in my mind that his love and appreciation of music ranks right up there with the best of us. Personally, if there seems to be a desire for it, I'd rather give him a column once a week / once a month / whatever that would allow him to spout off and maybe generate some buzz with our readers ... or, at the very least, get the wheels turning.  (Perhaps a weekly, weekend radio program ... with Chet and I playing ... and debating ... our favorites would be a more likely solution ... not to mention entertaining as hell!) All of that being said, with SO many artists on the list now reading Forgotten Hits, the LAST thing I want to do is bite the hand that feeds us ... and makes our publication so unique. So we'll continue to test the waters here and there and see how it goes. If it ever gets too negative, we'll simply pull the plug and let it go at that. (kk)  

Hi Kent.
Long time since I've written, and hope you and family are doing just great.
Was thinking about wearing your shoes regarding the rock-and-hard place situation being journalist, or associate / friend, to those who write in. Very difficult, and I admire your attempt to tackle the uncomfortable position it puts you in.
Seems it's a lose-lose situation. So, were I you, I'd make it as much win-win by asking those who communicate / write to be as adult as is possible in understanding the spot it puts you in, and not "shoot-the-messenger" (not journalism - your hearts is in here). It this possible? Should be interesting, but not an unrealistic expectation at all. In the unlikely event a temper flares, and a relationship is harmed ... I think there's a good deal of information inherent in such circumstances. Let's hope it never comes to that.
A healthy reminder to please "don't-shoot-the-messenger" request I'd hope would remind your loyal readers & hopefully suffice.
Keep fingers and toes crossed for you on that!
Another note: picked-up some albums (saw conversation re: Turtles in FH recently) I hadn't heard in some time, and wondered if I'm not listening long enough, or there's a lack of play on radio. The Turtles (love them), show up with standards You Baby and She's My Girl (great tunes), but seems some stunningly creative stuff (Sound Asleep, You Showed me, Lady 'O - mesh of Howard Kalan's vocals blended with Baroque strings, and stunning melody) seem to not get as much air (also Grim Reaper Of Love, think it was a "greatest hit"?). This stuff being played, and am I just missing it?
Thanks for all the time and heart you put into FH, you know how it's appreciated!
Ron Kolman
 


And (since you mentioned The Turtles), here's more from Howard Kaylan ...  

Nice mentions, Kent.  
I appreciate it.
I'm going to call my next band the Full Blown Somethings.
You can tell your loyal readers that an entire chapter of my book is online right now FREE at RollingStone.com
Now, millions can hate me for nothin'.
Thanks,
So says Kaylan~
Can't wait to read it! Thanks, Howard! (kk)  

re: AND FINALLY ...
C'mon, Chet ... you CANNOT tell me that you can make it all the way to the end of this song without singing along!!! (kk)