Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wednesday Wednesday

And the comments just keep comin' ... so we're sharing a few more with you today!


re:  THIS GUY HAD THE MOVES LIKE JAGGER!:
Hey Kent,
I am wondering if you saw Mick Jagger host Saturday Night Live this past weekend.  I thought he was a natural!  No problems with the monologue and presented MUCH better than 90% do as guest hosts.  He performed great Stones songs from "Last Time" to "19th Nervous Breakdown" to "It's Only R&R" as well as a new song he wrote about the political situation with Jeff Beck on blues guitar.  Then, he was in most of the skits as well!  Many not funny, but he was great.  The best was the karaoke bar where guys kept going up and singing Jagger tunes while he sat there saying "Jagger doesn't do that."  Then, his impersonation of Steven Tyler on American Idol was good, as one could imagine.  All in all, one of the best SNL shows (not sayin much there) I have seen in a long time. 
Clark Besch
We missed it (but will watch it on "On Demand" this weekend.)  I've heard really good things from several readers ... but YOUR note makes me want to flip it on right now!  (kk)   

Kent ...
It's Only Rock and Roll.
Mick Jagger's collaborations through the years:  From Live-Aid to Obama
http://wcbsfm.cbslocal.com/2012/05/18/from-live-aid-to-obama-mick-jaggers-collaborations-through-the-years/ 

Frank B.
Some great clips here!  (kk)   

This was supposed to be bad. A tired rock star giving the middle finger to bandmates who can't tour without him.
But from the very beginning of the show, Jagger exuded a charisma and confidence that was incredibly endearing, even in the skits. Instead of looking desperate, he took the whole show up a notch.
And then he performed with Arcade Fire.
Half the magic was the brilliant execution of the stinging guitar riff. But it was more than that, this was a band, not in the least bit self-conscious, thrilled to back up the best frontman in rock and roll. Who delivered.
What is it with Jagger ... He can barely enunciate on the Super Bowl, the live shows are creepy, then he goes on the Grammys and tears it up and delivers here. Huh?
This was supposed to be a victory lap. Old man on old show, both past their prime. But it turned into a tour de force.
It wasn't perfect.
Great rock and roll never is.
But it had undeniable energy, just like the original British Invasion. You just wanted to get closer, the music eclipsed the antics of the comedians, it was everything.
Jagger showed us how to do it.
But he couldn't have done it without Arcade Fire.
And this performance would get a standing O on "Idol", because magic is undeniable.
It would have been criticized on "The Voice", but those phonies have no idea what's real.
But Tyler does. Jagger inspired him to hit his peaks.
And tonight Mick reminded the rest of us that money can't buy you love and there's no joy like making (and listening!) to music.
Bob Lefsetz 

re:  GARAGE BANDS: 
How are The Trashmen doing?  
Ken
Pretty well, actually ... with 98 votes, they're certainly in the running ... not enough to win this thing ... but they might make The Top 20.  (kk)


re:  FAVORITE, FORGOTTEN B-SIDES:
Kent,
I thought I'd share some thoughts with you as I go plowing through my record collection for my annual inventory.  My, how that does stir up the cobwebs.
I checked your "B-sides list" and I need to mention a few.  Absolutely one of the worst produced and engineered records I ever heard, and yet I love to listen to it is "Don't You Worry, My Little Pet", a Phil Spector production on the flip side of "To Know Him Is To Love Him" by the Teddy Bears.  
I'll also mention the two "That's My Desire" flip sides, from Dion & Belmonts and also the Lettermen.
Chuck Wroste
We're going to be spinning some of those Favorite, Forgotten B-Sides with Y-103.9's Jeff James real soon ... in fact, he's even filming this for his YouTube "From The Vault" series.  We'll have more details shortly for you on this!  (kk)   

re:  THE BEE GEES:
Sorry bout the Bee Gees errors I made.  I was writing quick before bed and not for broadcast worldwide on CNN.  haha.
Clark
Point noted ... my only thing was showing that it happens to EVERYBODY ... happens to me all of the time ... my mind knows EXACTLY what I want to say and then I'll transpose a wrong name or something, even thought I knew exactly what it was SUPPOSED to say!  (I've thought about getting one of those "Say And Type" things for the computer ... but the one's I've seen aren't very accurate ... right now they make more mistakes than I do ... so I muddle along!)  No harm, no foul ... but we HAVE to set the record straight on stuff like this.
As for your comment about the media getting their facts wrong, I witnessed this first hand on the way to work one morning this week.  Eddie and Jo-Bo (who I honestly can't STAND in the mornings ... but I listen for their "Senseless Survey" bit) were talking about the passing of "a Bee Gee" when Jo-Bo said, "Did you know that Maurice Gibb once quit the band to try and make it as a solo?  Yeah, he thought he should be the lead singer!" To which Eddie replied, "Well, he DID do a good job on "I Started A Joke".  Couldn't have gotten it more wrong ... Maurice never sang lead on ANY of The Bee Gees' hits ... and it was Robin (who is the one who passed last week, and NOT his twin brother Maurice) not only sang lead on "I Started A Joke" but also quit the band for a while at the prompting of too many hangers-on who convinced him that HE was the sound of the whole band anyway and ought to try and make it as a solo act.  Meanwhile, ANYBODY listening who didn't know any better got their heads filled with COMPLETELY erroneous information ... and this is on one of Chicago's OLDIES stations!!! (K-Hits prides themselves on playing the hits of the '60's, the '70's and the '80's ... it'd be even cooler if they knew the first thing about any of this music!)  kk  

Boy, you guys have a lot more admiration for disco and Saturday Night Fever than me.
For The Rockers it was part of the downfall of Western Civilization!
Ken
And I felt EXACTLY the same way at the time ... I HATED Disco (and still do, for the most part) ... but some of this music has aged very well.  "Saturday Night Fever" is pretty much an AWFUL, unwatchable movie today ... but there is no denying its impact on pop culture then AND all these years later.  Truthfully, I'm one of those rare birds out there that will admit to loving ALL of The Bee Gees' music ... from the earliest stuff right on up through their last album ... I could find something of merit in every phase of their career ... but that doesn't mean I was a fan of disco music.  (For the record, I still turn off the radio EVERY single time a Barry White or a Village People song comes on!!!  lol  And I was there, cheering Steve Dahl on ... albeit from my couch rather than a ringside seat ... when he blew up all those disco records at Comiskey Park.  I, too, embraced the "Classic Rock" alternative at the time.)  In fact, playing in a band at the time, disco put a lot of us out of work ... and I hated the whole "dress-up game" you had to play with the gold chains, platform shoes and all of that ilk ... but a whole generation embraced it and were out on that light-up dance floor every weekend.  It was never for me ... but some of what we THEN called "disco music" plays pretty well today as some great R&B.  (kk)